July 23, 2020
Update To Hospice Visitation Guidelines
Please note, COVID-19 visitation guidelines remain in place for Foothills Country Hospice. These visitation guidelines are in alignment with Directives from the Chief Medical Officer of Health and the Province of Alberta. Please review the latest visitation guideline specific to Foothills Country Hospice.
May 19, 2020
Calgary Zone Hospice Visitation Guidelines
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, some very difficult decisions have been made around limiting visitation within hospices. We recognize that the impact of these decisions may be extremely distressing for everyone considering hospice care. In order to prepare you for the impact COVID-19 has had on visitation, please review the latest Calgary Zone Hospice Visitation Guidelines from AHS
April 7, 2020
AHS Update to Hospice Visitation Restrictions
March 27, 2020
Saying Thank You With Food Donations
We are extremely grateful and thankful for companies and individuals who are offering food to our hospice nurses and employees. It’s very heartwarming to know that you care so much. Believe us, it’s hard to say no to donated pizzas, donuts and muffins; however, we need to ensure we are doing all we can to protect both our employees and our residents from the spread of COVID-19. This means that unfortunately we have to decline food donations at this time. Thank you again for keeping us in your thoughts.
Should you wish to make a financial contribution to help us through these turbulent times, visit countryhospice.org/support-us/
March 26, 2020
Thank you for visiting our website. All of us at Foothills Country Hospice truly appreciate your support as we navigate this unpredictable situation and we will continue to provide updates as we receive them.
Please note that we are following Public Health Directives provided to us by Alberta Health Services. As a contracted service provider, we must comply with all regulations.
Our priority is to protect our most vulnerable residents and to keep our doctors, nurses, and employees healthy so we can continue to provide safe, quality care to our residents. By minimizing the number of people entering our hospice, we hope to reduce the risk of bringing COVID-19 on site.
Visitation Restrictions at End-of-Life:
Special steps must be taken to prevent disease transmission when considering the movement of residents, visitors and staff into and within a healthcare facility. Visitation restrictions have been put in place for the safety of all individuals, including the residents, staff and essential workers, and other visitors.
If approved for visitation, the following requirements apply:
- All visitors must complete the screening questionnaire each time they arrive at Foothills Country Hospice.
- Those who are COVID-19 positive or awaiting results of COVID-19 testing will not be allowed to visit.
- Others who answer yes to screening questions (but are not COVID-19 positive or awaiting COVID-19 testing) should phone Foothills Country Hospice (403.995.4673) for further information before visiting.
- Visitors are restricted to individuals identified by the resident or designated decision-maker; this may include family members or religious leaders.
- Underage children will not be allowed to visit, except with the approval of the hospice Manager as children may have COVID-19 with only very mild symptoms.
- Approved child visits are restricted to one child at a time. The child must be escorted directly to the resident room and must be under the supervision of another adult at all times.
- Visitors are restricted to one person at a time except where an adult is accompanying a child.
- If you are unable to visit for any reason, we are very willing to support other methods to be in touch with your loved one, such as a phone call, video calling or FaceTime/Skype.
- Visitors should keep to the resident’s room and perform hand hygiene including when they enter the facility, before leaving the resident’s room, and at any time before leaving or after entering the resident’s room during the visit.
- Pets will not be allowed to visit.
- In situations where restrictions are in conflict with an individual’s customs or beliefs and in consultation with the health care team, a decision to transfer the resident home with added supports may be considered as an alternative option.
- For visitation with a resident with either suspected or confirmed COVID-19, visitors must be provided with appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and escorted to and from the room.
During your visit:
- Follow the instructions provided by the hospice manager or delegate for screening and check-in, before entering the resident’s room.
- Follow the instructions provided by the hospice manager or delegate regarding hand hygiene and the use of masks, gowns and other protective equipment.
- Visitors should consider having shorter visits.
- Visitors will be asked to leave during specific medical procedures.
If you have sick family members at home, please do not come to hospice.
All Foothills Country Hospice programs such as Grief Support Meetings, Weekly Non-denominational Church Services and any scheduled-on site meetings and/or workshops have been cancelled until further notice.
Thank you for understanding at this most difficult time for you and your family.
For more information please visit albertahealthservice.ca